Lior is a senior partner in the firm’s corporate and M&A department.
Lior’s practice is focused on cross-border M&A and private equity transactions, corporate finance and tech-driven investment transactions, with a special emphasis on highly regulated industries. Lior often represents foreign buyers and investors in acquisitions and sales in Israel in a wide array of sectors, including technology, industrial and manufacturing companies, financial services, defense, telecommunications and entertainment, healthcare and internet.
In recent years Lior led the representation of multi-billion leading funds and commercial companies as well as high profile local and foreign investors in the most high-profile, complex and innovative transactions valued at billions of dollars. Lior specifically specializes in handling M&A transactions involving complex regulatory aspects, mainly relating to the financial services, defense and telecommunications sectors.
Lior also leads the firm’s growing China practice and represents both Chinese investors searching to acquire local technology as well as Israeli entrepreneurs aspiring to develop their businesses in China.
In addition, Lior has substantial experience in representation of venture capital funds and start-up companies in raising capital in Israel and abroad as well as representation of clients in a wide range of commercial agreements in Israel and abroad, including licensing agreements and joint ventures agreements.
Prior to Joining EBN, Lior was an associate at M&A and Securities practice group of Anderson Kill, PC for over 4 years. Lior has been a member of the New York State Bar Association since 2005.
Lior was named “Leading Lawyer” in the IFLR1000 ranking editions and claimed to have “superb reputation” as a lawyer who “gets deals done” in the Legal500 ranking edition. Lior was also recently claimed to “provide ‘sound commercial advice’ and to possess ‘good technical knowledge’ in the Legal500 ranking edition.
Lior is also the head of the firm’s Internship Program and leads the recruitment of ~20 legal interns annually as well as manages their involvement in projects and matters firm wide.
M&A and Private Equity
- Representation of private equity fund, Permira, in the sale of all of its holdings (approximately 61%) in iconic drip irrigation pioneer Netafim to Mexichem, a Mexican public company for US$1.9 billion, in one of the largest and most complex transactions in the Israeli economy in 2017.
- Representation of the insurance company Sirius, in regulatory process and applying for control permits in connection with the acquisition of shares of The Phoenix Holdings, from its controlling shareholder Delek Holdings, in a transaction valued at NIS4.8 billion.
- Representation of Mizrahi Tefahot Bank, Israel’s third largest bank by assets, in a contemplated NIS 1.4 billion merger with Union Bank of Israel, Israel’s sixth largest bank, in a complex and highly regulated transaction which is also rare and almost unprecedented event in the local Israeli market.
- Representation of XIO Group, a global private equity firm, in the potential acquisition of Meitav Dash, a leading Israeli investment house, for NIS1.5 Billion.
- Acquisition of 25% of Mashav (sole shareholder of Nesher, a major cement manufacturer) by Clal Industries Ltd. from the Irish conglomerate CRH Europe.
- Acquisition of Hyperion Therapeutics, Inc. by Horizon Pharma plc for approximately US$1.1 billion.
- Reverse triangular merger of a subsidiary of Access Industries with Clal Industries Ltd. (TASE: CII) (“going private”) in consideration of approximately US$350 million.
- Representation of Israel Oil and Gas Fund, owned by Mr. David Wiessman, in the acquisition of the Israeli gas station chain, Sonol Israel Ltd., from Azrieli Group Ltd. for NIS364 million.
- Sale by the Tene funds and all of the other shareholders of 100% of the Israeli-based dairy herd specialist, S.C.R. (Engineers) Ltd. to Allflex Group in consideration for US$250 million.
- Acquisition of a controlling interest in Partner Communications (TASE: PTNR; NASDAQ: PTNR) by the Saban Group in consideration for approximately US$400 million.
- Representation of Access Industries in a reverse triangular merger of a subsidiary of Access Industries with Clal Industries Ltd. in consideration of approximately US$350 million.
- Representation of EndoChoice, a US-based gastrointestinal endoscopy company, in a merger with Peer Medical Ltd., an Israeli endoscopic start-up, involving a substantial equity investment by Sequoia Capital, at a transaction valued at US$150 million.
- Representation of S1 Corporation, a NASDAQ corporation, in a potential stock-for-stock merger transaction with Fundtech Ltd., an Israeli company controlled by IDB Group (dual listed), valued at US$700 million.
- Representation of ProSiebenSat.1 Media AG (then indirectly controlled by KKR and Permira), the largest TV operator in Germany and one of Europe’s leading media companies, in the acquisition of July August Communications and Productions Ltd., a leading Israeli production company, by based on a company valuation of € tens of million.
- Sale of control (64%) in Merhav – Ceramic and Building Materials (TASE: MRHV) by Keter Plastic and Fimi Group to Neor Holdings in consideration of US$60 million.
- Acquisition of 50% of the share capital of Japanauto Holdings Ltd., the exclusive Israeli importer of Subaru vehicles, by the Zeevi Group for NIS120 million.
- Warner Music Group in effecting several VC-type equity investment rounds in Interlude, an early-stage venture.
- Handling the regulatory aspects associated with the acquisition of a control stake by Sirius Insurance in Phoenix Insurance vis-à-vis the Capital Markets Authority and the Israeli Securities Authority.
- Representation of Lockheed Martin in connection with the Israeli aspects associated with a US$4.6 billion merger and restructuring transactions, including handling the regulatory aspects vis-à-vis the Ministry of Defense.
- Handling the regulatory aspects in connection with the potential going private acquisition of Meitav Dash, a leading funds manager, vis-à-vis the Capital Markets Authority and the Israeli Securities Authority.
- Handling the regulatory aspects in connection with the potential acquisition of Clal Insurance, the largest local insurance provider by Permira.
- Handling the regulatory aspects associated with the sale of the controlling stake of Bezeq, the largest telecommunications operator in Israel, to Eurocom in exchange for US$1.765 billion vis-à-vis the Ministry of Communications.
- Representation of XIO Group, a Shanghai-based private equity firm, in the potential acquisition of Meitav Dash, a leading Israeli investment house, for NIS1.5 Billion.
- Representation of Sirius Insurance and its controlling shareholder, China Minsheng Investment Group (CMIG), in the acquisition of a control stake in Phoenix Insurance.
- Representation of Ningxia Qinglong Pipes Industry Co., Ltd. (traded on the Shenzhen Stock Exchange) in connection with certain contemplated acquisitions in Israel.
- Handling the acquisition of a controlling interest in Partner Communications by the Saban Group in consideration for approximately US$400 million from the Chinese conglomerate, Hutchison Whampoa.
- Representation of Xsight Systems, a leading provider of cutting-edge airport runway management solutions, in a governmental bidding process in respect of the installation of a major system at the new Beijing Daxing International Airport.
- Representation of Nisko Electricity in corporate and banking aspects related to a Hong Kong-based subsidiary.
- Representation of BFree, the international baby products vendor, in a joint venture with Polybell (Guangzhou) Limited regarding manufacturing and distribution of BFree’s products throughout the PRC.
- Representation of XIO Group in a financing transaction with Mizrahi Tefahot Bank, in connection with a US$514 million merger transaction with Lumenis Ltd.
- Representation of the controlling shareholders of Bezeq in a large scale refinancing transaction with Bank Leumi.
- Representation of Golan Telecom, a cellular operator, in the Ministry of Communications (MOC) Tender 12/2010 for new mobile operator in Israel.
- Representation of T2T Communication Ltd., obtaining an MVNO license from the MOC.
New York, 2005
LL.M., New York University School of Law, New York, US, 2004
LL.B., Magna Cum Laude, College of Management Law School, 2002
• In recent years, Lior also serves as an Adjunct Lecturer at the Faculty of Law of the Hebrew University as well as at the College of Management and teaches a “Mergers & Acquisitions” course.
• Lior practiced law as an associate with a leading reputable NYC law firm, Anderson, Kill, PC where his practice focused on international M&A transactions, securities law and venture capital investments.
• During his studies Lior was engaged as a teaching assistant at the Tel Aviv University Faculty of Law in various legal courses, including Corporate Law and Property Law and acted as the Chief Editor of the faculty’s Law Journal.